Side Curtains were the last thing I did on the restoration. I hope I
don't use them very
much, but they did need to be done. I bought new rubber, new
plexiglass, & a fastener kit from Clarke Spares & Restorations.
I had two sets of side curtains, one from the original car and
one from the parts car. They were in about the
same condition, but I decided to use the ones from the original car. I
sent the front and rear braces out to have
them rechromed (probably not original). Not all the aluminum side
curtains have the small metal "tab" that is attached to the front upper
portion of the window frame, but mine did. It is intended to help keep
the side curtain in place at higher speeds. I also had that piece
rechromed. I'll be the first to admit that I did a very poor job of
cleaning up / polishing the aluminum frames. I did use some metal
abrasive compounds, but there were just too many nicks, gouges, &
scratches to get them all out. I'm sure a more devoted person could
have cleaned them up better, but I rationalized that I wouldn't use
them too much and when I did, the weather would be bad and not too many
The rebuild was really just a matter of disassembling the old
parts and then reassembling with refurbished or new parts with some
thrown in. One problem I had was that the new front plexiglass had the
wrong angle at the front. I'm not sure why since these frames have the
(somewhat) standard "Weather Shield" name embossed in the upper part of
the frame. I know that there were quite a mixture of frames
used throughout the life of MGA's so I assume mine were just a little
different. The other problem area I had was in getting the rubber along
the front edge of the frame to slip into place. It took a lot of
pushing, soaping, starting over, etc. to finally get both that part of
the rubber in place.
I apparently make a mistake in the location of the front plate
that holds the side curtain in position on the left door since the side
curtain didn't fit correctly. I initially used a bungie cord jerry-rigged to hold it in place.
trip to GT-33, we drove through a lot of rain. The side curtains did
reasononably well keeping out the rain - better than the top did. However, that set-up did some minor damage
to the leather along the top of the door. The
bottom line, though, is that we got pretty wet - just like the last MGA
I had 40+ years ago. I guess I was right not to expect too much.
After that trip, I ended up using
the brace from the other set of side curtains and modified it to fit the door.